If you or someone you care for has been diagnosed with brain cancer, Defy & Conquer will shed valuable light on contemporary cancer care, what to expect, and how to cope—physically, mentally, and spiritually.
Mindy Elwell’s captivating memoir describes three years living with terminal brain cancer (Anaplastic Astrocytoma, Grade III):
- from initial symptoms
- to early diagnosis
- needle biopsy
- adopting the Ketogenic Diet
- a lifetime’s worth of radiation
- and a craniotomy to finally remove the tumor, located deep within the thalamus.
This first-person view of brain cancer spans traditional and adjuvant therapies, and is both educational and informative:
- with diagnostic and surgical notes
- disclosing pathology reports
- the biopsy procedure
- and the tumor resection surgery, which was performed utilizing state-of-the-art, intra-operative brain mapping.
Learn about the metabolism of cancer cells and details on how to adopt the Ketogenic Diet through contributions from Ms. Elwell’s professional team at the renowned Barrow Neurological Institute: Dr. Adrienne C. Scheck, brain tumor researcher, and Leonora Renda, RDN.
Balcony 7 is proud to have been chosen to publish Mindy’s memoir, cementing her wish to help others fighting this terrible disease in an enduring legacy of perseverance, truth and hope. Rest in peace, dear Mindy.
Also available wherever books are sold, and in libraries.
“In this book, Mindy Elwell has chronicled her journey from brain tumor diagnosis, through her decision to use a ketogenic diet as an adjuvant therapy and its integration into her lifestyle…She includes detailed information, including hints and recipes [she has] discovered and created. “Defy & Conquer is an excellent resource for brain tumor patients…written from the point of view of a brain tumor patient and, therefore, providing information in a manner more suited to individuals dealing with the unique issues presented by this diagnosis.
“Mindy not only provides insights from her own point of view but she also provides information about resources available to help empower brain tumor patients to pursue the use of this metabolic therapy in addition to the standard of care. We highly recommend this book for cancer patients interested in exploring the use of this diet as part of their treatment regimen.”
Adrienne C. Scheck, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Leonora Renda, RDN
“As a patient liaison at Barrow Neurological Institute, I often see patients that feel powerless when it comes to playing a part in both their treatment plan and the decision-making process. Mindy refused to give in to fear. Instead, she put together a team of incredible doctors, engaged whatever resources she could find and educated herself, her team, and her family.
“My own family has been touched by a very rare brain tumor (hypothalamic hamartoma) and I understand that sense of isolation, fear, and despair. For me, taking control meant starting a nonprofit and educating others. For Mindy, it has been her amazing gift with words that has led her to create a book for everyone who has been touched not only by cancer but also by the many challenges of life.”
“Through her faith, her positive attitude, and her willingness to expose the tender moments, she has shown us all that we can overcome the seemingly impossible. This book, and the life lessons it teaches, is a gift from a woman I admire greatly and am blessed to call a friend. I am thankful that she has shared her heart and her powerful story with us all.”
Lisa Soeby, Patient Liaison
Co-founder, Hope for Hypothalamic Hamartomas
“Mindy shares her powerful story with dignity and humor. Not even the insidious ‘C-Club’ can stop her from soaking up every fierce, faithful, frightening moment of her beautiful life. Her story of strength and endurance serves as a reminder that life’s fleeting moments are valuable treasures to be cherished.
“She shares her struggle with candor and wit. Although cancer patients and their caregivers will find valuable support and guidance in this book, readers from all walks of life will be impressed by Mindy’s strength and humility.”
– Invaluable perspective from patient’s point of view
– Table of Contents provides ease of navigation
– Numerous, informative support links
– Educational references for contemporary care
– Suitable for Libraries, Colleges and Institutions
– Insights and references for families and caregivers
– Portable inspiration that goes where you go
- Pub Date: August 25, 2015
- Publisher: Balcony 7 Media and Publishing
- Editor: JZ Bingham
- Hardcover: 978-1-939454-29-4 | SRP $24.99
- Softcover: 978-1-939454-30-0 | SRP $17.99
- Ebook (w/links): 978-1-939454-31-7 (ePub); 978-1-939454-01-0 (Kindle) | SRP $14.99
- HC Trim Size: 6″ x 9″ 210 pages
- BISAC: Cancer, Alternative Therapies, Diet & Nutrition, Health & Fitness, Autobiography.
- Trade Orders: Ingram Publisher Services, Follet, Brodart, Mackin, Overdrive, Baker & Taylor (thru IPS) & more. Library pricing for eBooks.
- Retail Orders: Wherever Books Are Sold and Online.
- Publisher-Direct Discounts: Consumers, Businesses, Fundraisers, Universities/Colleges, Book Clubs, Medical Companies & Org.